Friday, January 27, 2012

Flour Choices

There are several different flour choices that you are faced with when standing in the baking aisle at the store: white, wheat, self-rising, white-wheat, etc. The type of flour that you want to buy will depend on what you are making. Lately, I have had a bag of white and a bag of wheat flour in my cupboard. I have found that, while I prefer the nutrition facts of the wheat flour, recipes don't always come out properly with just wheat and that it needs to be used 1/2 and 1/2 with white flour. The result is a wheat flavor and color. However, they have now started making a white-wheat flour. I have yet to try this, but I am looking forward to the end of my current bag of wheat flour so that I don't feel guilty about buying the new flour. Supposedly, the white-wheat flour does not need to be combined with anything else to create the desired consistency or texture. It is supposed to taste like white flour, but with the healthier nutrition of wheat flour. Let me know if you're tried it out! I'll update this once I get my hands on some.
Be careful with self-rising flour. Unless a recipe specifically calls for it, don't use it. This is because, if you look at the ingredient list on a bag of self-rising flour, this type of flour is more than just flour. There are additional powders added (like baking soda). These additions can potentially ruin whatever it is that you are making.

No comments:

Post a Comment